The McHenry County Sheriff's Department provides the following reminders and tips for driving safely during winter weather.
- Watch out for blowing and drifting snow on the roadways. This occurs especially in rural areas where there is nothing to slow down the strong winds.
- Please SLOW DOWN and watch out for black ice: drive at slow speeds as you may come across unsafe road conditions.
- Consider turning on your headlights or parking lights to make you more visible.
- Please be aware of other drivers on the roadway and use defensive driving tactics.
- Consider staying home if you do not have to be on the roadways.
- Travel during winter months with plenty of fuel in your tank and extra warm clothes.
- Please allow snow plow drivers room to work clearing the roadways.
- In an event of an emergency please call 911 for assistance.