The undercover checks are performed to determine if local retailers are complying with state and local minimum-age tobacco laws which prohibit the sale of tobacco to minors, according to LITH Police.
With the help from a grant awarded by the Illinois Liquor Control Commission’s “Kids Can’t Buy ‘Em Here” Tobacco Enforcement Program, Lake in the Hills has been educating tobacco retailers on minimum-age tobacco laws and the importance of verifying the age of their customers, a LITH Police release states.
A total of 11 retailers were inspected the week prior to Nov. 27, and all businesses were found to be compliant, police said.
"The Lake in the Hills Police Department would like to commend the following retailers who passed this round of compliance checks and thank them for their cooperation in this very important effort," the release states.
The undercover compliance checks were conducted at the following businesses:
- Walgreens, 100 N. Randall Rd.
- The Lottery Mart, 2126 W. Algonquin Rd.
- 7-Eleven, 4500 W. Algonquin Rd.
- Dominick's, 101 N. Randall Rd.
- Cigarettes Depot, 162 N. Randall Rd.
- Bucky’s Express, 101 Pyott Rd.
- Thorntons; 2265 W. Algonquin Rd.
- Hills Food & Liquor, 9451 Ackman Rd.
- CVS Pharmacy, 4511 Algonquin Rd.
- Park N Shop Food and Liquor, 4581 Princeton Ln.
- LITH Liquor, 461 N. Randall Rd.