Does it take you more than 30 minutes to get to your job each day?
You are not alone.
Around 65 percent of Lake in the Hills residents spend more than 30 minutes commuting to work, with 43 percent of those commuters spending more than 45 minutes traveling to their jobs, according to statistics published in the Business Journals from an On Numbers study.
The On Numbers study contained statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau 2009 American Community Survey.
Lake in the Hills ranked among the worst for commute times for communities with a population between 10,000 and 50,000. The village ranked 2,980 among the 3,012 communities across the nation surveyed and third to last among Illinois communities.
The community with the best commute times was Altkus, Okla., with 80.5 percent of its residents facing less than a 15 minute commute each day, according to the Business Journals article.
In Illinois, residents living in Macomb, located southwest of Peoria, have the best commute times with 78.91 percent of its residents spending less than 14 minutes traveling to work.
In Lake in the Hills, it's a different story:
- 15.04 percent of LITH residents have a commute time of less than 14 minutes while the national average for the same commute time is 28.7 percent
- 20.04 percent of residents have a commute time of 15 to 29 minutes
- 22.24 percent have a commute time of 30 to 44 minutes
- 42.69 percent have a commute time of 45 minutes or more, while the national average for the same commute time is 15.5 percent
Nearby suburbs did not fare much better for commute times.
- Huntley had a rank of 2,972 with 43.3 percent traveling more than 45 minutes during their commute and 19.48 percent facing a 30 to 44 minute drive each day to work.
- Algonquin had a rank of 2,887 . According to the survey, 17.36 percent of Algonquin commuters spent 14 minutes or less traveling to their jobs each day, 25.20 percent had a commute time of 15 to 29 minutes, 21.26 percent spent between 30 to 44 minutes commuting and 36.19 percent spent more than 45 minutes on their commute.
- Cary had a rank of 2,806 . According to the survey, commute times for Cary residents were less than 14 minutes for 21.71 percent, between 15 to 29 minutes for 22.62 percent, between 30 to 44 minutes for 25.15 percent and more than 45 minutes for 30.52 percent.
Tell us by commenting below: How long is your commute? Why do you think Lake in the Hills residents, as well as other McHenry County communities, face some of the worst commute times in the nation?