Whether your mom is glamorous, girly, or even a little geeky, celebrate her in all her glory this Mother's Day by giving her the perfect gift.
So, what to buy? What to do?
First, a little history.
Many people are inclined to believe Mother’s Day is a Hallmark-inspired holiday—but while they may profit from it, they certainly didn’t invent it. After a few false starts—including one by famous abolitionist Julia Ward Howe—Anna Jarvis and the culmination of her tireless efforts to honor mothers brought on the inaugural Mother’s Day in 1914. Woodrow Wilson officially signed it into law, thereby ensuring its place on our calendars on every second Sunday in May.
To get an idea of who is behind the spending, as well as identify the different lucky gift recipients, Patch contacted Shari Brown, communications specialist with the National Retail Federation (NRF).
“Predictions on expenditures are based on our consumer spending survey,” Brown said. According to 2012 NRF data, “nearly 65 percent [of shoppers] will shop for their mom or stepmom, while others will buy gifts for their wife (22.4 percent), daughter (10.5 percent), grandmother (8.2 percent), sister (8.4 percent), friend (7.6 percent) or godmother (2.1 percent).”
But neither history nor the NRF are in charge of your Mother’s Day shopping this year—you are. Luckily, there are a host of gift choices.
For starters, who doesn’t enjoy a meal out, prepared by anyone but themselves? Plenty of local restaurants cater the annual holiday by offering special Mother’s Day menus with seatings throughout the day.
Spend some quality time together by attending a local play or concert, visiting a historical site, or even taking a relaxed, self-guided walking tour of the area. You could also plan a trip to the movies or a local cinematic art house.
Here are some ideas:
- AMC Lake in the Hills 12: Check out a new movie with your mom
- McHenry County Conservation District: Go for a long hike with mom at a McHenry County Conservation District site.
- Three Oaks Recreation Area: Hop on the Prairie Trail and swing by the Three Oaks Recreation Area to explore the site. You can also rent a kayak and check out the recreation area by water.
- Swing by an area yogurt or ice cream shop: Yumz, 277 N. Randall Road in Lake in the Hills; The Freeze, 140 S. Virginia St. in Crystal Lake; Huntley Dairy Mart, 10706 N Il Route 47 in Huntley; or Yugen Fruz, 1624 S. Randall Road in Algonquin.
- Check out a local coffee shop: Conscious Cup Coffee Roasters, 5005 Northwest Highway, Suite 100, in Crystal Lake; El Cafe, 8505 Redtail Drive in Lakewood; and Cafe Firefly, 301 S. Main St. in Algonquin.
- Treat mom to a show at Ravinia in Highland Park this summer. You can check out who is playing and buy tickets online.
The gift of pampering and relaxation is always appreciated. Buy a gift certificate to a local spa or treat mom to a salon service, such as a gentle facial, rejuvenating massage, pedicure or a simple manicure. Better yet, book a spa day for you and mom to enjoy together.
Here is a list of local beauty salons and spas that can help make your mom feel, and look, fabulous:
- Massage Envy, 1543 S Randall Road in Algonquin
- Taylor Stevens Salon and Spa, 1940 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
- Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa, 710 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
- Bella Vita Salon and Day Spa, 321 S. Main St. in Algonquin
- Woodhouse Day Spa, 302 S. Main St. in Algonquin
Keep the special women in your life in style by giving the gift of bling. Small boutiques and shops offer unique items that will make anyone feel special. Here are some ideas:
- Funky Munky in Lake in the Hills
- Dalzell Jeweler's in Crystal Lake
- Nelson's Jewelers in Crystal Lake
- Out of the Box in Crystal Lake
And if Mother’s Day isn’t long enough?
Stay in touch by updating the recipient’s cache of technology with a new smartphone, tablet or mini-tablet. There are plenty of local stores who can help set you up with this technology:
- Best Buy, 1561 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
- Radio Shack, 160 N. Randall Road in Lake in the Hills
- Verizon Wireless, 290 N. Randall Road in Lake in the Hills
- T-Mobile, 2535 N. County Line Road in Algonquin
- U.S. Cellular, 418 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
Once you've solved the Mother’s Day puzzle, relax and take a deep breath—it’s time to plan for Father’s Day.