Cue up the mariachi band—Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching.
The celebration of Mexican heritage on May 5 is sometimes mistaken for Mexico’s Independence Day. However, Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates the Battle of Puebla, a turning point in Mexican history and freedom.
In the U.S., it is celebrated by observing Mexican culture through food, drinks and dancing. If you are looking for a fiesta with margaritas, live bands and authentic food, here's a list of top five rated Mexican restaurants on Yelp!
- Algonquin Mexican Restaurant, 648 S Main St. in Algonquin
- Buena Vista Restaurant, 220 N. Harrison St. in Algonquin
- On the Border, 1512 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, 412 S. Randall Road in Algonquin
- Tacos El Norte, 2122 W. Algonquin Road in Lake in the Hills
TELL US: Where do you plan to celebrate on May 5? Share in the comments below! Are you restaurant owner who will have a special this Cinco de Mayo? Let us know by commenting.