Two Massive Jackpots Add Excitement in Illinois
CHICAGO —The jackpot for Wednesday night’s Powerball stands at an impressive $245 million, while the top prize in tomorrow’s Mega Millions multi-state lottery isn’t too far behind at $106 million.
That works out to $351 million in jackpot money between the two multi-state games, according to the Illinois Lottery.
While no one has won either jackpot, 37,000 Illinoisans won prizes ranging from $10,000 to $4 in Saturday night’s Powerball drawing. One store sold two winning tickets; one worth $2 million (included the Power Play option) and the other, $1 million.
The winning tickets were purchased at Broadway Wine & Liquor, 3158 North Broadway, Chicago, and matched the first five numbers – 02 - 19 - 22 - 26 - 45 – (24) - in the Saturday, September 7 drawing.
There was no big winner for Friday’s Mega Millions drawing, however over 25,000 residents won prizes ranging from $10,000 to $2.
Since Illinois introduced these multi-state lottery games, Mega Millions and Powerball have collectively contributed an estimated $940 million to the Illinois Common School Fund and Capital Projects Fund, according to the Illinois Lottery.
QUICK POWERBALL FACTS
- Current jackpot at $245 million; cash value of $136.3 million; after withholding: $95.4 million
- Introduced in Illinois on January 31, 2010
- Jackpots start at $40 million
- IL has had 33 Match 5 winners since January 18, 2012; Match 5 winners receive $1,000,000 each, which increases to $2,000,000 if they select the Power Play game option. Four of the 33 Match 5 winners have won $2,000,000.
- Overall odds of winning a prize: 1:31.8; Overall odds of winning the jackpot 1:175,000,000
- Drawings are at 9:59 PM (CT) every Wednesday and Saturday
- All profits from Powerball in Illinois stay in Illinois to support education and capital developments
- Powerball is played in 45 lottery jurisdictions across the country
- Largest Powerball Jackpot: $590.5 million; won May 18, 2013 in Florida
QUICK MEGA MILLIONS FACTS
· Current Jackpot is $106 million with a cash option of $71 million; after withholding: $49.7 million
· Overall odds of winning the jackpot 1:175,711,536
· Mega Millions jackpots start at $12 million
· Drawings are held Tuesdays and Fridays at 10 p.m. CST