October 20 is Sweetest Day. Sweetest Day started in 1922 by Ohio philanthropist and candy company employee Herbert Birch Kingston. He started the holiday by giving candy and small gifts to orphans and the under-privileged in intent to show them they are not forgotten.
The holiday started to spread, and today is celebrated with loved ones and friends. Celebrate this day with your sweetie and let the Algonquin Area Public Library help!
- The Harnish Main Library at 2600 Harnish Drive and the Eastgate Branch at 115 Eastgate Drive are open from 9 am to 5 pm today, October 20. Come with your sweetie and browse through the collections of books. Pick up a love story like Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.
- Make it a movie night and check-out a DVD or Blu-Ray!
- Pick out a recipe from our expansive cookbook collection, and cook a delicious meal or bake a sweet treat for your special someone.
- Want to make a romantic mood? Download and play songs from Freegal Music! Freegal Music offers free music downloads from hundreds of songs in the Sony Music catalog that are yours to keep! Visit the Library’s website at www.aapld.org and click on the Music/Movies tab for more information and to get started.
- Don’t have a Library Card yet? Take the next step in your relationship and get your Algonquin Area Public Library cards! They are free, and give you access to materials and exciting programs all year round.