The historic Ford School is one step closer to returning to its home in Lake in the Hills.
Prep work has begun at Ford School Park, 302 Ramble Road, as workers prepare for Fod School to return to that area, Arden Spooner, member of the Lake in the Hills Historical Society, wrote in an e-mail.
Ford School had orginally been located in the area of the park but was moved in 1945 by George Sticklemeyer who bought the 20- by 36-foot school and moved it to his farm about one-quarter mile west on Algonquin Road in Algonquin.
The schoolhouse currently stands vacant and unused about a quarter-mile west of the park at the former Stonegate Nursery, 2001 W. Algonquin Road in Algonquin
A ground-breaking ceremony at Ford School Park took place on May 24.
Much of the equipement and services to move the school have been donated. The Northwest Herald reports InTren of Union has donated its excavation services, Plote Homes of East Dundee donated gravel and Rustic Landscap Design and Nursery of Union and Burke's Tree Service of LITH helped to remove treees and brush at the park.
The hope is to move the school the week of June 15. The historical society still need to receive a permit to allow them to move the school from McHenry County, according to the Northwest Herald.
Interested in Donating?
The historical society is $4,000 short of its goal for the project — estimated to cost $15,000 — and is still taking donations, according to the NW Herald.
Donations can also be mailed directly to Castle Bank, 2100 W. Algonquin Road, Lake in the Hills IL, 60156. Checks should be made out to the Lake in the Hills Historical Society, Account #xxxx5998, said Arden Spooner of the LITH Historical Society.
Checks can also be sent directly to the LITH Historical Society at 228 Indian Trail, Lake in the Hills, IL 60156.