A boil order that affected more than 300 homes in the village of Algonquin last weekend was caused by a malfunction in a water sampling station, village officials said Wednesday.
On Friday during a routine bacteriological testing.at the water station, located near Huntington Drive and Hanson Road in Algonquin, tests came back positive, said Michael Kumbera, Algonquin's assistant to the village manager.
Since samples that were taken upstream and downstream from the water main came back negative, village officials believed there was an isolated issue at the sampling station, Kumbera said.
As a precautionary measure, the village issued a 24-hour boil order on Friday for the homes in the affected area, which included homes near Huntington Drive east of Hanson Road to Holly Lane. On Saturday, the boil order was extended for another 24 hours.
Test results at the sampling station came back negative and the boil order was lifted.
Village officials continue to look into what could have caused the malfunction at the water sampling station.