7 Things You Need to Know for Friday, The Weekend
Find out what is happening in the area this Friday and over the weekend.
- Friday: Expect mostly sunny skies and a high of 53 degrees. A 50 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms are expected after midnight, according to weatherbug.com. A low of 41 degrees is expected.
- Saturday: Warmer temperatures are in the forecast for Saturday. Expect rain and thunderstorms throughout the day with a 90 percent chance of precipitation, according to weatherbug.com. Shower and thunderstorms will continue overnight. A low of 58 degrees is expected.
- Sunday: There is a 40 percent chance of rain on Sunday and a high of 65 degrees. A low of 45 degrees is expected overnight.
Planning to pick up a pumpkin this weekend? Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Patch has a list of great places to find the perfect pumpkin. A lot of these pumpkin patches also include fun fall activities for the whole family. Read more here.
The Downtown Algonquin Partnership merchants association will be holding their annual Old Time Country Harvest Day event from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00pm on Saturday, October 13. The location of the event has been moved to Cornish Park, which is located just south of Algonquin Road along the Fox River. This free event will feature games for kids, craft fair and other fun activities. Read more here.
The Crystal Lake Park District is hosting Truck-or-Treat on Saturday, Oct. 13, from 10 a.m. to noon at Crystal Lake Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Drive, Crystal Lake. Pre-registration is not required for this free event. Kids can come dressed in their Halloween costume and see the inside of some great big trucks. Children are invited to climb in the trucks and see how they work and even honk the horns. Read more here.
The Service League of Crystal Lake is hosting its 38th Annual House Walk on Friday, Oct. 12. The annual walk welcomes guests to four amazing homes in the area every year. Participants can choose from the 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. walk, or the 5 to 9 p.m. session, according to the Service League webpage. Tickets are $20 if purchased in advanced, and $25 the day of the walk. Read more here.
Bring the kids out to the Lake in the Hills Airport, 8407 Pyott Road in LITH, on Saturday, Oct. 13 for a free airplane ride. The EAA will be holding its Young Eagles rally at the airport from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
It will be your last chance for the season to check out the Huntley Farmer's Market this weekend. The Huntley Farmers Market is holding Fall Harvest Day from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13 at its regular location on Coral Street. Fall produce, like squash, winter potatoes, and pumpkins, are available now. One of the market’s newest vendors, Royal Oak Orchard in Harvard, has been bringing a variety of apples, sauces, apple fritters and apple cider donuts, said Barb Read, the market’s manager.
The day’s events include a craft fair, free kids activities like pumpkin decorating, a live cooking demonstration where people can learn how to make meals in 10 minutes and free entertainment with local musician Andrew Huber, Read said. The Crystal Lake and Woodstock farmer's markets will also be open this weekend.
Is there something you would like to share with the community? Here are several easy ways to use Patch.com to stay connected with those in Algonquin and Lake in the Hills:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.
What else is happening in the community today and this weekend? Share a local event or news of interest with the community by commenting below.