Ten Things You Need to Know for This Weekend
Fall Fest will be held in Huntley, the Johnny Appleseed Festival will be in Crystal Lake and much more will be happening throughout the area this weekend.
- Huntley Fall Fest will be kicking off Friday and will go through Sunday. A few highlights include pumpkin bowling, build your own scarecrow and hayrides. This Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Patch article has a full schedule of events and more on this festival.
- The Johnny Appleseed Festival in Crystal Lake will feature a great ball race at 3 p.m. Saturday where colored balls will be released at the top of the Brink Street hill as part of a raffle. There are numbers on each ball and the first ball down the hill awards the holder of the winning number a grand prize of $1,000, according to the Downtown Crystal Lake website. Read more and check out a video of the great ball race on Crystal Lake-Cary Patch.
- It's homecoming weekend at Jacobs High School. From the game to the dance to all other homecoming activities from this past week, we would love to have you share your homecoming photos with the community in our Jacobs homecoming photo gallery. The more photos, the merrier!
- The village of Lake in the Hills will host its Worldwide Day of Play at Barbara Key Park, 9191 Pyott Road, on Saturday. The free event, which is sponsored by Nickolodeon, will include health/fitness, music and sports activities and will be held from 11 am. to 1 p.m. Following the day of play, a punt, pass and kick competition will kick off at 2 p.m., according to a village of LITH press release.
- The Bear Necessities 5K Run/Walk will be held Sunday morning at Eastview Elementary School. Online registration will remain open through midnight on Friday or you can register in person Sunday morning. This is a great fund-raiser for a great cause. Read more on Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Patch.
- Towne Park in Algonquin will officially be closing this Monday, Oct. 1 to make way for the Western Bypass construction project. It's looking like it will be a beautiful weekend for a trip to the park. The park will remain closed through summer 2014.
- Speaking of the beautiful weekend, here is a look at the forecast. Sunny skies and a high of 69 degrees is predicted for Friday, expect partly-sunny skies and a high of 75 degrees on Saturday and sunny skies and mostly sunny skies and a high of 68 degrees is forecasted for Sunday. As the work week begins, mostly sunny skies and a high of 73 degrees is predicted for Monday.
- National Coffee Day is Saturday and there are several area businesses that will be offerring free or discounted coffee drinks to help celebrate.
- Several 7-Eleven locations will offer a free, large coffee from 6 to 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 28. iPhone and Android users can download this TimeRazor app to check on participating 7-Eleven locations.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels will be offering 50 percent off a vanilla hazelnut latte on Friday and a buy one get one free pumpkin latte on Saturday.
- A coupon from Dunkin' Donuts helps coffee-lovers score a small hot or iced latte for 99 cents through Sept. 30.
- After you've picked up your free coffee Saturday, you can check out one of the several Illinois museums that will be offering free admission on Sept. 29. For a full list of museums participating in the promotion, visit this Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Patch article.
- Do you have unwanted prescription drugs that you would like to dispose of? Several area police departments, including the Algonquin and Lake in the Hills police departments, will host Drug Take Back events Saturday.
The events are meant to prevent pill abuse and theft by helping residents rid their homes of potentially dangerous expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs, according to a village of Algonquin press release.
You can drop off your drugs at the Algonquin Police Department, 2200 Harnish Drive, or the Lake in the Hills Police Department, 1115 Crystal Lake Road, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday.
Is there something you would like to share with the community? Here are several easy ways to use Patch.com to stay connected with those in Algonquin and Lake in the Hills:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.
What else is happening in the community today and this weekend? Tell us in the comments' section below.